It is a myth that not eating much will result in losing weight. Instead, doing so can lead to your body to not get the recommended amount of nutrition (1). Doing some reflection on the dietary habits and recognizing the pitfalls is necessary for losing weight. Making changes includes the inclusion of essential oils for weight loss and eliminating unhealthy diet so that your body gets the required amount of energy from the food (2).
Research says that the role of essential oils in losing weight is to activate enzymes responsible for reducing weight. So, the essential oils work like the best stimulant as an ingredient in various types of foods and drinks (3,4). If you commit to starting living the way your body needs, you will be losing a lot of fat accumulated in your body.
There are many ways of losing weight, out of which, one of the best tricks is to add essential oils extracted from the plants to your diet. The adjective ‘essential’ is there because these oils are as necessary for the plants as blood is for you.
Benefits of Losing Weight
Several diseases are associated with obesity, a condition which persists when the weight of your body gets beyond normal. The downside of being overweight turns out to be harmful to your health. If you can control the weight of your body, you are making sure that you will live more comfortably. Usually, weight gain is the result of consuming a diet rich in trans fat and saturated fat. You will be:
- able to manage or prevent type 2 diabetes.
- lowering the risk of developing heart diseases and breath with normal blood pressure.
- saving yourself from developing various types of cancers.
- less prone to problems like sleep apnea, which is a condition that mostly occurs in overweight people.
- having a reason to feel positive about yourself and focus on essential tasks.
There are even more benefits linked to losing weight. If you are concerned about reshaping your body, you must be doing plenty of exercises. The diet also plays a significant role in the whole process of losing weight, and it cannot be overlooked if you seek effective results. Including essential oils in the diet is a positive way of losing weight quickly and naturally.
Benefits of Essential Oils
There are therapeutic health benefits of essential oils linked to mental, physical, and emotional states. A research paper has also demonstrated the role of essential oils as a natural remedy to treat digestive system and other medical conditions as well (5).
In food industries, essential oils are of interest because of their healing power as a potent agent containing anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties (6). These properties make a significant impact on keeping you fit. There are more benefits, such as:
- The essential oils stimulate the process of losing weight by activating certain enzymes in the body (7).
- Some of the essential oils relieve stress and anxiety. If people go through stress while working in the office, aromatherapy massage using essential oils turns out to be a quick fix. Aromatherapy is a massage being done using aromatic essential oils (8).
- Essential oils target the root cause of gaining weight. That being said, you tend to have a lack of appetite so that you don’t feel attracted to eating food (9).
You must be wondering what separates essential oils from others. It is your benefit to find an alternative which doesn’t feed the worst type of fat. The leading cause of heart diseases in both men and women in the United States is the regular consumption of hydrogenated oil, which contains trans fat (10). Just because trans fat doesn’t spoil quickly as compared to other fats, it is added in a variety of food items (11).
But, trans fat is known for raising the level of bad cholesterol and lowering the level of good cholesterol, which increases the risk of living with cardiovascular disease. The right type of fats is found in the essential oils which make food healthy. You don’t suffer from such problems when you have essential oils in your meal, coffee or tea. The skin can also absorb essential oils, which is one of the best ways of losing weight.
Many people are interested in losing weight, which occurs when you are able to burn fat. That is what you are going to do when you consider to include essential oils in your routine. To support yourself in the endeavor, you can move to eat healthy food that establishes long-term health benefits. Keep reading to know how you can go about using the essential oils.
How to Use Essential Oils?
As you shift from unhealthy food towards the healthy, you will not only be losing weight but breathing with more energy, sleeping peacefully and reducing the chances of developing an illness. The essential oils are available to use for pregnant women, young kids, newborn babies, and anyone coming in the category of overweight, or who wants to prevent the risk of turning obese. You can implement essential oils in your life in so many ways, for example –
- It is feasible to add a few drops of essential oil in tea, water, or coffee (12).
- A blend of essential oil with a carrier oil is a perfect way to consume essential oil without having to eat it. As an application of aromatherapy, you can also apply the mixture on wrist, soles, neck, arms, chest, and legs. It is a general principle to mix the essential oil with a carrier oil to avoid unwanted reactions on sensitive skin, as the essential oils are quite strong when you apply it without diluting with a carrier oil. So, it is better to dilute 1-2 drops of essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil before rubbing it on your skin (13).
Keep following a daily routine to make this method useful. As per the literature of aromatherapy, you should apply the essential oils regularly. Correctly, use it twice or thrice daily (14).
Essential Oils for Weight Loss
The mission of losing weight also includes taking medicines or going through surgery, as suggested by the doctor. But, you may be interested in treating this problem naturally because you don’t want to invest money unnecessarily. On this context, we have some alternative solutions that are backed up by scientific studies. Some of the possible solutions for treating obesity naturally using essential oils are described below.
1. Grapefruit Essential Oil
The effect of Grapefruit on reducing weight is when you take it before eating meals (15). In this way, this food option allows you to have something without putting restrictions on the amount. If you are obsessed with your body weight, grapefruit is undoubtedly going to work for you. Research states that some components found in grapefruit oil are effective in lowering appetite (16). Usually, we have a tendency to end up eating extra food than the body requires.
Another research published in the Journal of Medicinal Food states that the extract of grapefruit is effective in reducing the weight of the body. The scientific reason is that grapefruit exhibits anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, due to which such a phenomenon happens (17).
The mechanism of grapefruit essential oil for weight loss is to raise metabolism (18). Research suggests that overweight people should take proper nutrients in their diet, along with exercising. As a result, it will help you boost the metabolism leading to weight loss (19).
Keep in mind to have plans set already when you feel a craving for food. Whenever you feel a need for eating, apply the grapefruit essential oil on the skin after adding a few drops in the carrier oil.
2. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil appears bright for promoting cleanliness, both externally and internally. That being said, in most commercial products, it is used as an ingredient. Getting rid of the extra weight accumulated due to consuming a diet rich in fat requires taking medicines. The simple alternative is to include the lemon essential oil in the daily routine because research says that polyphenols found in lemon suppress obesity (20).
It has been ensured that consuming lemon essential oil on a regular basis will also improve the levels of glucose. As you must be knowing that, a low level of glucose and gaining weight is linked to incorporating diabetes, so it is better to make the right lifestyle choice (21).
Apart from the idea of losing weight via lemon oil, it is also an excellent natural remedy for treating coughs, fever and balancing the level of pH in the body (22).
3. Ginger Essential Oil
The reason why ginger essential oil comes in the list of essential oils for weight loss is that it lowers cravings for sugar and improves appetite (23). The consumption of ginger is strongly recommended for people facing issues with obesity and diabetes. Moreover, it is a useful agent for anti-inflammation and a way of losing weight. For losing weight, it is necessary that you must reduce inflammation occurring in your body. Gingerols found in the ginger take care of the process of reducing inflammation. Research says that ginger exhibits anti-oxidant as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive properties (24).
Ginger is known as the effective remedy for stimulating the digestion of the food. Considering the type of meals you take daily and the response of your stomach to them, you may need ginger to increase the rate of digestion (25). There are several foods that you may not digest easily, and the storage of excessive fat in the stomach is linked to gaining weight. So, it is essential for you to consider ginger as a suitable option for losing weight. In this way, you will be able to manage the energy levels without reducing the food intake.
4. Helichrysum Essential Oil
According to the research published in the Journal of Medicinal Food, Helichrysum Essential Oil marks its importance for helping to reduce weight (26). Owing to anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties found in this essential oil, it is also beneficial for the health (27).
5. Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon oil is warm, readily available, and affordable oil. The research has concluded that it exhibits antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties, which make it worthwhile for you to buy (28).
Cinnamon oil works well for people worrying about how to control diabetes and how to lose weight. There is scientific evidence stating that cinnamon oil has potent applications in regulating the glucose level in the blood. Moreover, it manages the level of sugar in the blood, which is also one of the effective ways of losing weight and managing diabetes (29).
When you don’t have cravings for consuming sugar, you are more likely to restrict yourself from eating chocolates or food rich in fat and sugar. As you add cinnamon essential oil to your daily servings of tea, fruit, or smoothies, you will find fewer cravings for eating unnecessarily (30).
6. Endoflex Essential Oil
According to food and drug administration (FDA), Endoflex essential oil is known for improving and balancing the metabolism, which makes it qualify for losing weight.
7. Peppermint Essential Oil
As per the FDA, peppermint has potential applications for helping you lose weight. It is a valid fact that it doesn’t let you have unnecessary cravings for food. Peppermint improves the lymphatic system, which is a way to remove unwanted materials that a human body should get rid of regularly. In this way, the digestive system remains stronger.
Peppermint essential oil is one of the most used oils for a lot of purposes. It shows strong antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties due to which it is useful for digestion. Therefore, peppermint with one drop of water is recommended for improving digestion. Peppermint is a potent agent for dealing with nausea, constipation, pain in the stomach. The other quality of peppermint is using it as bad breath eliminator. Thus, you can to focus more on the positive side of things.
8. Caraway Essential Oil
It is an herb being used for ancient times for preventing the gain of weight in the body. The research has said that it is an effective natural remedy for treating obesity. There are several bioactive components found in caraway which are solely responsible for attacking obesity. The exact mechanism behind its actions is a topic of future studies. The conclusion of the research strongly suggests to use it for losing weight along with adopting some physical exercises.
9. Black Cumin Seed Essential Oil
Black cumin seed is a natural herb being used for a long time. There are many potential health benefits of consuming black cumin seed due to its anti-microbial and antioxidant properties (31).
10. Cardamom Essential Oil
As a natural source of treating obesity, the essential oil of cardamom shows significant improvement. The oil exhibits microbial and anti-oxidant properties. A research study published in the United States Department of Agriculture studied the effect of weight loss in the oil. This oil is also considered as a substance for aromatherapy.
11. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme is a natural herb which is known for reducing inflammation, which is a necessary property to consider when you want to lose weight. Inhaling thyme essential oil or applying it on skin surely gives you relief in the matter of losing weight (32).
12. Lavender Essential Oil
What you can do with lavender essential oil is improve digestion and enhance your sleep. It helps you to stay in the right mindset always. The method of using this essential oil is to apply it on wrist two times a day after diluting it with a carrier oil.
Carrier Oils to make a blend with Essential Oils
When you are using an essential oil, why would you need another oil known as a carrier oil? A carrier oil is a vegetable oil which serves the purpose of diluting an essential oil because essential oil is itself a strong oil, which is rapidly absorbed through the skin. For prevention of reactions on sensitive skin, it is necessary to make a blend of essential oil and carrier oil.
Research states that aromatherapy massage is useful for reducing the fat stored in the abdomen of women after menopause. Thus, it helps in managing the weight to look as you desire. Aromatherapy massage involves the use of essential oils. Once the drops of essential oil enter through the skin, it gives positive results by affecting digestion and making the immune system stronger. People suffering from digestive disorders also use aromatherapy massage.
However, in certain conditions, people should not go for massage therapy using essential oils. People with wounds and heart diseases are strictly advised not to use the aromatherapy massage. If you have gone through a surgery lately, then stay away from massage. Also, don’t use it just right after having gone through chemotherapy.
You are strictly advised not to have a heavy meal before taking the massage. In aromatherapy, the massage giver, who is trained at this task, uses a blend of the essential oil and carrier oil. You should buy a dropper bottle so that every time you can count the amount in the form of drops instead of tablespoons, which will let you have a better idea of the quantity.
Making a blend using essential oil requires you to follow some guidelines. The best way to use an essential oil is to create a mix of it with a carrier oil. Making a blend doesn’t mean that the essential oil will lose its strength. The answer to why making a blend is important is because sometimes just a drop of essential oil is more than enough. The production of carrier oils occurs from fruit or nut. As compared to the essential oil, carrier oil doesn’t have a longer life. Storing a carrier oil at a cool place like a refrigerator is necessary for ensuring its long life.
Making a blend is also feasible when you have to apply essential oil on a large area.
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a carrier oil, which has its importance for being used as a blend with an essential oil like the cinnamon essential oil. One of the products of coconut oil is the virgin coconut oil, known as the over the counter medicine for people who are interested in natural solutions. There is scientific evidence saying that fatty acids of medium chains are found in it which, according to research, are an agent for losing weight (33).
Losing weight is a primary concern of a large section of the population in this world. Another study states that coconut oil has an application for reducing fat accumulated in the body. Usually, people with obesity are concerned about reducing abdominal weight, making them look weird and unsatisfied. Virgin coconut oil presents an opportunity to get back to the shape you adore.
It is also made clear that the use of virgin coconut oil is safe for people who are concerned about the levels of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and high total cholesterol. The fact supporting the previous statement depicts that it maintains the level of these cholesterols in the blood.
Here is how you can use coconut oil for your advantage. Use coconut oil in coffee for weight loss:
A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition mentions that caffeine is a natural source of an aid which burns fat because intake of caffeine is linked to increment in the metabolic rate. Consuming a coffee daily can give you the required amount of caffeine in the body. It is the icing on the cake when you add coconut oil in coffee to boost the process of losing weight.
Keep in mind to consider the limitation of anything you consume. The general use of consuming caffeine is to stimulate the central nervous system so that you stay awake and remain energetic. If you drink it before sleeping, it is undoubtedly going to affect your sleep cycle. It gives you more urges to urinate.
As it is a general rule that consuming anything in excess turns out negative for you, drinking coffee releases acid in the stomach due to which you sometimes do not feel at ease. It also scales up the count of blood pressure. After drinking coffee, there is a specific change in the mechanism of the body, which remains until 4-6 hours. As a dietary limitation, it is advised that consuming more than 400 mg of caffeine per day turns out harmful for your health.
Increasing the energy emerging out of consuming your favorite smoothie requires adding one tablespoon of coconut oil in it. One of the benefits of coconut oil is that it is safe to cook it at high temperature. Owing to this fact, it becomes one of the great alternatives to consider for saving your food from getting spoiled.
The coconut oil is used as an alternative for butter as well. Every morning, consume one tablespoon of coconut oil, which is both delicious and healthy. You can add one tablespoon of coconut oil in the coffee to drink it in the morning. You will instantly feel energetic. In the same way, adding one tablespoon of coconut oil in tea is also a powerful remedy. You can also use coconut oil as a topping on popcorn instead of butter.
There are many essential oils in use currently, whose properties and benefits vary accordingly to the region and climatic conditions. The essential oils are known for anti-microbial properties and are considered safe for adding in food and drinks.
The collection of chemical constituents makes a whole essential oil. Some of the critical components found in the essential oil are esters, ketones, oxides, phenols, etc. These are bioactive components which give the essential oil therapeutic and unique quality. Thus, anyone interested in making blends must understand the chemistry, which is a separate subject to talk about. On your behalf, we have listed some of the useful combinations that work for getting rid of the extra weight you have incorporated in the long run.
Do’s and Don’ts
The problem which people are suffering at large is obesity. This is the time when people are most concerned about their looks. Therefore, being overweight for any reason can make you disappointed when you see others living in better conditions. Take the motivation that you are going to get rid of many diseases all at once. You will have an average heart rate, normal blood pressure, and no problems like sleep apnea, which are essentials of leading a good lifestyle. Therefore, here are the following instructions that you must follow:
- Once you set a goal, you have done half the job. The other half is to follow what you have decided, which will eventually lead you towards your goal.
- It is all about deforming old habits and making new ones. Research states that making a habit is a matter of doing something for 21 consecutive days (34). The benefit you get is that you will have it ingrained in your consciousness so that you will not need to work on decision making. Rather than feeling jealous seeing others doing all the things that you would like to do, why not start doing it yourself one by one?
- Keep the bottle of essential oil in the dark and cold place where kids can’t reach.
- Always make sure that you are using the right kind of essential oil as there might be fake products available in the market. Do check the label to find factual information about it.
- Consult your doctor at least once if you are using medications. Ask for any possible interactions that might happen. Thus, talking to your health care provider, you are more likely to use essential oil in the best way possible. It is way better to avoid the chances of undergoing a complication.
- Making a short-term change in the diet isn’t going to help with managing the weight. Instead, start with changing small things about your routine, which will sustain for long-term. If you have been eating junk food and find it difficult to stop, try decreasing the amount and frequency, and then eventually move to avoid it altogether.
- Regularly use essential oil as the method for losing weight, because not seating it out in the gym or exercising also doesn’t help you reduce weight.
- Make healthy food tasty enough that you no longer have cravings for having junk food.
- Avoiding certain kind of foods is going to accelerate the process of losing weight. The consumption of high-calorie food products such as cakes, donuts, and cookies has to be limited or eliminated depending upon your conditions.
- When you are preparing a blend to use for long-term, make sure that you add a label for ingredients and the date of making it, so you remain aware of its quality.
- Focus more on eating vegetables, fruits, healthy fats to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
- Do remember that your intention of eating food is to feel full instead of overeating. Take the food in a small amount so that it doesn’t go in waste later and you don’t have to eat extra to save yourself from embarrassment.
- Since your mission is to lose weight, you need to get motivated. Pushing yourself at each stage of the process works when you give yourself a deadline (35).
- Keep measuring the weight once in a week to see where you are heading. One of the difficult things in life turns out to be consistently following a plan. If you want to stand out, you have to remind yourself over and over again that why did you start in the first place.
- The goals that you have written about are more likely to be accomplished than the ones in mind. Define your definite purpose. So what are you waiting for? Take a pen and piece of paper to write everything down you wish to accomplish. This is your life, and some things have to be done in order to live a life with fulfillment and no regrets.
There are two ways you can go about living a healthy lifestyle. You should have the self-control not to consume products like junk food and fast food, and remain physically active. A person following a healthy dietary routine with the addition of taking time out for exercising is known to live without diseases. If you have the courage to lead a better lifestyle, you should do something about the wrong habits you may have developed over a couple of years or months. Take care of the following statements to get effective results:
- Don’t use Aromatherapy on a pregnant woman or a newborn child.
- Don’t consume bad fat while eating junk food and fast food.
- Don’t consume refined carbohydrates and sugar.
- Take care of the fact that you don’t have to apply essential oil near your eyes, mouth, and ears. If such a mistake has happened, use vegetable oil to sooth eyes instead of water.
- If the smell of the blend you have prepared feels unpleasant due to being old or having decayed, don’t use it preferably.
- Don’t inhale essential oils if you have asthma.
- Pregnant women are advised to consult a doctor before using essential oils.
Bringing a significant change in life starts with making tiny changes in the diet through which it is possible to lose weight. Usually, a doctor will advise you the same that you should begin physical exercises, consume healthy food, and walk more. Generally, the definition of healthy eating includes ingredients that don’t affect your health negatively but boost your energy levels.
You should stick to a dietary routine which has the capability to fulfill your needs. What is more useful for you is what is suitable for you. You may easily get attracted to the food that you shouldn’t eat, but it is not what you are looking for. Your ultimate goal is to look and feel healthy. You are just about to do it when you start taking actions based on the ideas shared in the article.
There are many ways of reducing body weight. One of the best solutions you encountered here is making significant changes in the diet so that you don’t gain extra weight. That being said, the optimal solution is to use the right kind of oil, which solely depends on the needs of the individual. The essential oil contains some natural ingredients that serve the purpose of helping you lose weight. Remember, you are what you eat!
Hopefully, the essential oils will work for you. Losing weight is a matter of patience and time. Even if you find something is not working, you can consider other essential oils.
- Best Essential Oils for Headaches
- Essential Oils to Get Sound Sleep
- Best Essential Oils to Stop Snoring