Egg fast, egg only diet, or egg fast diet plan is a great way to reduce weight because we all already know how great eggs are and what all wonders they can do. Egg fast is a diet that will help you kick-start the weight loss process by providing your body with protein and a lot of dietary fat, as this diet comes under keto diet. This is one of the few diets where you will be allowed to eat a lot of cream cheese throughout the day because of its fat and protein content.
What is a Keto Diet?
A keto diet is a very simple diet where you are suggested to eat low carbohydrates products, normal amount of protein products, and a lot of dietary fats. This may sound a little odd when talking about weight loss, but this method of dieting has been tested and proven to be helpful in weight loss (1).
The basic concept behind keto diet revolves around a process in the body named ketosis, from which keto diet takes its name. Ketosis is a process that happens in the liver when you consume high amounts of dietary fat; your liver converts this dietary fat into ketones, which are used by your body as an energy source. This energy will be utilized to perform metabolic functions and to accomplish day-to-day tasks (2, 3).
How Does Keto Diet Help with Weight Loss?
Reduction in carbohydrates consumption will help you stop more fat accumulation because it has carbohydrates, which our body uses up for energy production first, and then moves on to fat. When there are fewer carbohydrates in your diet, your body is bound to use up the fat for metabolism, which will prevent it from accumulating in the body. The ketones from the liver are a product of the fat that you are consuming, and these ketones are used for providing energy to the whole body for different functions (4, 5).
Ketone production in your body will not only help you reduce weight, but it will also promote your physical and mental health as it has been known to fight the likes of cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, acne, etc. (6, 7, 8, 9).
How Does Egg Fast Work: Its 3 Main Aspects
Egg fast diet does not necessarily mean only eggs; there are 3 different aspects of this diet, and combined together they make the perfect recipe for weight loss. These aspects are; high amount of fats, proteins, and low amounts of carbohydrates. The importance of all the three aspects is equal and is explained below:
There two types of fats on the basis of saturation, namely, saturated and unsaturated fats. The essential difference between these two types is that saturated fats are the culprit behind the raised LDL levels. LDL is the bad cholesterol in your body, which should not increase because it has a tendency to clog the arteries, which may put you at a risk of a heart attack, stroke, or other cardiovascular conditions. You must avoid these saturated fats that are harmful to your body. For this, read the list below that mentions the food items high in saturated fats (10).
- Ice cream
- Meat products
- Coconut oil
- Palm oil
Under the category of unsaturated fat, which is good for your heart but in controlled quantities as it helps reduce the levels of LDL in your body and improve your HDL, there are two main types; polyunsaturated fatty acids, and mono-unsaturated fatty acids. The healthier of the both is mono-unsaturated fat, and it can be obtained from olive oil and canola oil, while polyunsaturated fatty acids can be obtained from almost all the vegetable oils liquid at room temperatures, like soy oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, corn oil, etc. (11).
And the last ones are trans-fatty acids, which are obtained from the hydrogenated vegetable oils. Hydrogenation is the process of converting vegetable oils into the solid mass at room temperature, by adding hydrogen to them. The main examples are margarine and hard butter. Packaged food has a high quantity of trans-fat, so read the label of any packaged food product before consuming it (12).
What is the best oil containing good fats?
Olive oil is one of the best sources of the healthiest type of dietary fats, which is the reason people have started using it in cooking. It is always a good idea to use all-organic products to make sure whatever you are consuming is 100 percent natural. All these dietary fats are a crucial part of the keto diet, have a very important role in initiating the process of ketosis in the liver, and make you start losing weight.
Proteins, on the other hand, are a complete set of molecules, which have a very important role as they help in maintaining the structure, friction, and regulation of the tissues and organs in the body. Basically, proteins help in building up muscles. And no, we’re not talking about building up muscle like a bodybuilder or a weightlifter, but we mean the muscle development to support the body’s structure (13).
Long-chained amino acids are the building blocks of protein, and there can be a maximum of 20 different types of amino acids building up the protein. These chains are all different in size and sequence, which determines the function of the protein they form and its unique structure (14).
Proteins have various functions as they help in carrying different chemicals all over the body because they run through the whole body, protect the body against viruses and bacteria, help coordinate biological processes among cells and tissues, provide support to the structure of bones, etc. The most important function of the protein is its impact on the lean muscle mass and metabolism in that area (15).
How does consuming protein help with weight loss?
Protein consumption is also very advantageous when seeking weight loss as it has a thermogenic effect on the body and is also great to stop cravings as it makes you feel full with lesser calories as compared to carbohydrates and fats. More protein in the diet means more lean mass in the body, which if combined with exercise, can help reduce fat from the designated areas that have more fat accumulation than the others. Proteins make sure that your body retains lean mass and sheds the fat mass when you’re working out, preventing muscle loss while losing weight (16).
While protein itself is not the only component required for weight loss, it sure has shown better results when combined with other weight loss techniques by helping in maintaining the body structure. It also helps better in maintaining a negative calorie balance, which is the best way to lose weight as compared to carbohydrates and fats (17).
You must already be aware of low-carb diets and their advantages. These diets usually have a high protein and/or high-fat content. A diet that has a lot of carbohydrates will make you gain weight very quickly, especially if the carbohydrates included in it are the simple ones like potato, refined flour, sugar, etc. This means that these carbohydrates will be absorbed by the body quickly and will make you hungry quicker. This may lead to over-eating and snacking, which are the main causes of weight gain in the United States. The best carbohydrates are the complex ones, like whole grain cereal, vegetables, legumes, etc. These food items contain more dietary fiber and will take time to get absorbed and converted into energy, which will keep you full for a long time while dietary fibers help aid the process of digestion (18).
This type of diet is not suggested by the American Heart Association because it is high in fat and protein, which may increase the cholesterol levels and affect the kidney’s capacity to absorb calcium. Some examples of this diet are- Keto diet, protein power diet, and Atkins diet. If you have a history of kidney or heart diseases, you must steer clear of this diet as it may cause further complications in your condition (19).
In a study, it was seen that the people who were given a low-carb diet showed decreased levels of triglycerides, which means that the weight had been reduced. The group also showed decreased levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, which is one of the main culprits of heart diseases as it causes blockages in the arteries (20).
Is it safe to continue having a low carb diet for long?
A diet that is low in carbohydrates, or in which the carbohydrates are completely missing, must not be followed for a very long time because it may increase the loss of water in the body, which may lead to dehydration quicker than usual. It was also seen that leptin levels in the group with a low-carbs diet were also decreased, which means that weigh loss management may become difficult if this diet is followed for a long time (21).
Who Is This Diet For?
Every diet has different aspects and also some restrictions. This diet is the one where you don’t have to count what you are consuming because the components of this diet are the ones that will make you feel full very quickly. But, some people may suffer more than they will benefit from this diet because of its high fat components like olive oil and full-fat cream cheese. Even the protein in the eggs might not be suitable for some people because of various reasons. Below is a list of people who can and can not benefit from this diet.
- First of all, we’ll talk about vegetarians, vegans, and other people who do not eat eggs because of religious restrictions or personal choice. This diet has eggs, and there is no substitute for them. There are other diets like 3 days military diet, which you can follow to reduce weight if you cannot consume eggs.
- The people who have had a heart surgery or have a history of any diseases related to the heart, for e.g., high blood pressure, cardiac arrest, stroke, etc., should also stay away from this diet. All the keto diets are high in fat and are not good for people with any heart-related complications (22).
- If you have had a problem with your kidneys in the past, or you are on any medications for a disease related to kidneys, this diet is not for you because of the low-carb nature of this diet. When you eat more proteins and fewer carbohydrates, it puts a pressure on your kidneys and may reduce their capacity for calcium synthesis (23).
- The liver has a very big and important role to play in this diet and all the other keto diets. If your liver is not functioning at its 100%, doctors will suggest you to not eat any kind of fat, which defeats the keto diet’s purpose because it is all about having a lot of fat and converting that fat into ketones to provide energy to your body. Furthermore, low carbohydrates and high fats may cause protein-calorie malnutrition, sarcopenia, and hepatic encephalopathy in the people with a history of ESLD (End-Stage Liver Disease.) All the people with a history of liver-related diseases should be away from this diet and all other keto-based diets (24).
- People with type-2 diabetes can very well benefit from this diet. This may sound a bit crazy but it’s true as it was found out in a study where obese people were made to follow the keto diet for 24 weeks. It was seen that there was a significant decrease in blood glucose levels after the completion of the trial (25).
- Obesity caused because of NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) can be fought by using this diet because of its keto nature. The study to find out the effects of keto diets on NAFLD found out that it significantly helped in decreasing the weight of the people tested, while also showing histologic betterment in the disease too. So, this type of diet is suggested to the people till they achieve their target weight and then continue with a nutritionally balanced meal with recommended calorie count (26).
- Neurological illnesses like epilepsy and seizures are also taken care of by using the keto diet. 70-80% of the diet of people with these illnesses was comprised of fats in a study, and it was found out that it really helped them control the symptoms of the concerned neurological condition. Other neurological diseases where keto diet is used are trauma, ischemia, malignancy, metabolic defects, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, autism, etc. (27).
- Anyone who wants to lose weight in a brief period of time, can have eggs and fat without any problem, and can also bear eggs for 3-5 days at a stretch can follow his routine, because this may sound like a pretty great diet with all the tasty stuff, but by the third day you will wish all the eggs disappeared from the face of this earth. Don’t worry; you will be happy with the results in the end, so much so that you will not care much about eggs. You will also want to follow this diet again in future for quick weight loss.
What Is An Egg Fast Diet?
The basic concept behind egg fast diet is that you can only eat eggs, healthy fats, and full-fat cheese (cream cheese) during the day. The origin of this diet is unknown as it has been made famous by the people who may have used it after hearing of it somewhere and it worked for them. The basic idea of egg fast diet plan is given above, and the rules that then need to be followed for it are given below.
The Basic Rules to Follow While on Egg Fast Diet
You need to follow these rules while on the egg fast diet religiously and for a short period to get its benefits and avoid any complications, which may arise if you follow it for more than a week because of inclusion of food products high in fat.
- Your main source of protein are eggs, and that’s what you will eat the whole day.
- Apart from this, you can have coffee without milk, no sugar, and a lot of water; at least 3 liters a day.
- For every egg consumed, you will have to consume 1 tablespoon of healthy fat, like olive oil, olive oil sugar-free mayonnaise, canola oil, etc.
- You have to eat at least one egg within 30 minutes of waking up.
- The minimum time between meals should be at least 3 hours, and at most 5 hours.
- You have to eat one egg, minimum, in every meal even if you don’t feel hungry; this is to maintain the diet schedule.
- An ounce of full-fat cream cheese can be consumed per egg instead of 1 tablespoon of healthy fat.
- You must consume at least 6 eggs in the whole day.
- The minimum time between sleeping and the last meal should be 3 hours.
- It is recommended to steer clear of soda and have more and more water, but if you cannot resist, you can consume a maximum of 3 diet soda cans per day.
- Sauces and spices can be consumed to provide a little flavor to the food, but make sure they are fat-free or very low in carbs.
- Sugar or any other sweetener is strictly not allowed, but you can have artificial sweeteners if you cannot have coffee without it.
Egg Diet Schedule To Lose Weight Fast
The rules for the egg fast diet mentioned above, are pretty simple. You can follow them the way you want to, or you can follow the schedule we have made for you:
07:30 AM: Wake up.
08:00 AM: 1 boiled egg with a mug of bullet coffee (recipe given below.)
11:00 AM: 3 scrambled eggs with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 ounces cream cheese.
02:00 PM: 3 Sunnyside ups with a tablespoon of olive oil each and a can of diet soda (optional.)
05:00 PM: 1-2 boiled egg(s) with an ounce of cream cheese as a dipping sauce.
08:00 PM: Omelet of 2 eggs with a tablespoon of olive oil and 2 ounces cream cheese incorporated into the omelet mix. You may also have a can of diet soda.
11:00 PM: Sleep.
Remember, this is just an example, and you may not necessarily follow this. However, make sure you follow all the rules mentioned above if you want to make any changes to this schedule.
The schedule is only for one day with 10-11 eggs. You can change the number of eggs, but you have to keep them to at least one per meal and remember to have 1 tablespoon of healthy fat or an ounce of cream cheese for every egg consumed. For the next 2 days of this 3-day egg diet, you can mix and match to break the monotony, but keep the basics same as this one.
You can also add 3 diet soda cans, some very low-carb and fat-free sauces, artificial sweeteners in your coffee, etc. to make the meal more interesting and palatable.
What is Bullet Coffee and How to Make it?
You must have noticed the bullet coffee in the schedule above and wondered what in the world is a bullet coffee? Right? Well, don’t worry. It is not even remotely related to arms and ammunition; it’s just a coffee with coconut oil that can be really helpful in any type of keto diet like this one. Here is the recipe of bullet coffee:
- 1 heaped tablespoon of organic coconut oil
- 1 cup of coffee
- Artificial sweetener (optional)
- Heat the coffee if not already hot.
- In a mug, dunk the coconut oil and pour the hot coffee over it.
- Add the artificial sweetener (optional) and stir with a spoon to mix.
- Have this coffee while it is hot for better results.
Some Amazing Egg Fast Diet Recipes
You will really wish there were more ways to cook eggs when you start following this diet because all you can have are eggs and the more ways you can cook them, the less monotonous they will get. We have come up with a list of delicious recipes, which you can use in this egg fast diet so that you can enjoy the diet while reducing weight. These recipes are strictly based on egg fast diet plan, and one recipe will contain a whole meal with the rules of this diet.
If you want to change the recipe by increasing or decreasing the number of eggs, you can do so by following the rule of 1 tablespoon fat or 1-ounce cream cheese for every egg. So, if you increase 2 eggs in a recipe, you will have to add 2 tablespoons of fat, or 2 ounces of cream cheese, or 1 tablespoon fat and 1-ounce cream cheese. Read below for the recipes:
1) Fried Boiled Eggs
This is a very simple recipe that you can prepare with very less cooking skills, and it is strictly according to the egg fast diet.
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- Use a string to cut the eggs in 2 pieces along the length.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and put the eggs on it.
- Fry the eggs on both sides till they turn golden brown.
- Turn off the flame. Put 2 ounces of cream cheese in a small bowl and add salt to it.
- Mix the cream cheese using a fork so that salt mixes in completely.
- Place the eggs on the serving plate with the flat side up and pour the cream cheese over them.
- You can also drizzle some fat-free and carbohydrate-free sauce over the eggs to add some more taste.
- Serve them hot or pack for lunch/dinner.
2) Egg Fettuccini Alfredo
Are you tired of all the boiled eggs and omelets? Then, this recipe will sure light up your day as it is a very filling recipe and lip-smacking too. You will love preparing it and will definitely have it even when you are not on the egg fast diet.
- 2 eggs
- 1-ounce cream cheese
- 1/8th teaspoon black pepper
- A pinch of garlic powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1-ounce mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- One tablespoon butter
- In a blender, mix the eggs, cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Pour this mixture on a butter paper placed on a baking tray/pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the baking tray/pan from the oven and let the mixture cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Loosen the pasta sheet and roll it while removing the butter paper.
- Slice the roll with a sharp knife to make it resemble pasta fettuccini. Keep it aside to cool and make sure the strands don’t stick together.
Method (Sauce) :
- For the sauce, mix Parmesan cheese, mascarpone cheese, and butter in a small bowl. Put this bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds and remove it.
- Whisk the mixture for 2 minutes and put it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and whisk the mixture again till it turns into a creamy and smooth mixture. Do not stop or the Alfredo sauce will curdle, and you will have to start all over again.
- Add the fettuccini pasta in this sauce while it’s hot and toss gently so the sauce covers the pasta completely and the pasta doesn’t break.
- Add salt if needed and serve immediately by sprinkling some crushed black pepper on top.
3) Egg Puffs
Eggs puffs are a nice way to start the day as they are a very fluffy and non-spicy version of eggs. This recipe is very similar to sunny side up but still very different.
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- First of all, you have to pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now, break all the eggs in one bowl, remove their yolks. Now, put them in another bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. This is the last stage of beating egg whites because if you beat more, the peaks will fall and the egg whites will lose aeration.
- Fold in the grated cheese into this egg white mixture.
- On a greased baking pan, place 5 blobs/puffs of this egg white mixture and make an indent in the center of all of them.
- Bake this in the oven for 3 minutes and remove the baking tray. Do not turn the oven off yet.
- Put the egg yolks in each of the indents that you made in the puffs.
- Bake it for 3 minutes and remove the tray from the oven. You can turn off the oven now.
- Use a spatula to remove each puff and place them on a plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with melted butter, and enjoy.
4) Egg Salad
An egg salad is all you need to mix things up in an egg fast diet. With breakfast and main course, salads are also very important. And, when you can only have eggs, so you really need new ideas to consume them.
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Low-sodium salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4-5 lettuce leaves
- In a deep saucepan, place the eggs and add cold water till the eggs completely submerge.
- Bring the water to a boil and let the eggs boil in the water for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the hot water and place them in a bowl containing chilled water. This will make it easier to peel them.
- Remove the eggs from this bowl after 5 minutes and peel them.
- In a food processor, put the boiled eggs and blend until they become smooth. Remove the mixture in a bowl.
- Stir the mustard, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in this mixture.
- Place the lettuce leaves separately on a plate with the concave side up. Now, place the egg mixture in each lettuce bowl.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and serve.
5) Egg Fast Cake
Are you fed up with eating savory dishes made with eggs? But, if you are bound to eat only eggs, you can prepare this delicious cake. It’s strictly in accordance with the egg fast diet and will also satisfy your sweet tooth.
- 2 eggs
- 20 vanilla stevia drops
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese
- Few drops of sugar-free caramel syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take two bowls and separate the egg whites from the yolks. Place the whites and yolks in 2 separate bowls.
- Add the stevia liquid syrup, cheese, and salt to the bowl with yolks. Now, blend them using an electric blender.
- Whip the egg whites by using an electric whisk till the whites become foamy. Add the cream of tartar and whip more till stiff peaks form.
- Fold the mixture made previously with egg yolks in the whipped egg whites by using a spatula. Make sure you move the spatula in one direction to retain the aeration.
- Grease a cake tin with butter and pour this batter into it.
- Bake this cake batter in the oven for 25-30 minutes. After 25 minutes, poke the cake with a toothpick. If it comes out clean (without any batter stuck to it,) then you are good to go.
- Remove the cake tin from the oven. Cool it under the fan for 5-10 minutes before placing it in the refrigerator for a day.
- Remove the cake from the tin after a day by turning the cake tin over on a plate.
- You can drizzle non-sugar caramel on top to make it taste even better.
6) Cinnamon French Toast Puff
You must have heard of French toast, but ever heard of its puff with cinnamon? It is a little twist on your usual French toast, but according to egg fast rules.
- One tablespoon butter
- ¼th teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ tablespoon artificial sweetener (stevia works best)
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- 2 eggs
- 1-ounce cream cheese
- In a skillet pan with a heavy bottom, melt the butter.
- Take a bowl, and mix together stevia syrup, butter, and maple flavor.
- In a blender, put the eggs and the remaining ingredients, and process till all the ingredients mix together.
- Line a cookie mold or a ramekin with parchment paper.
- Fill about ¾th of the mold/ramekin and then move on to the next one. The number of puffs will depend on the size of the mold you are using.
- Put these in a microwave for 2 minutes on high power. Your cinnamon French toast puffs are ready.
- Remove the ramekins/molds from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove puffs from the molds carefully and place them on a plate.
- Drizzle with some sugar-free maple syrup and serve.
Egg fast diet is a great diet plan and many fitness enthusiasts have claimed to lose as good as 12 pounds in a week with this diet plan. It can help you in shedding that extra fat from your belly and other areas. The good part is that many keto diets including egg fast, have proven to be very helpful in retaining lean muscle mass. So, you can be sure that you are not losing any valuable muscle mass in the process of dieting.
If you have any history of medical conditions related to heart, liver, kidneys, etc., this diet may trigger them and cause problems. Egg Fast Diet contains high fat and protein content, so you need to be very careful. In the end, all you need to remember is that your will to lose weight is all that matters; other things will follow along if your will is strong. So get up and get a tray of eggs to kick-start your weight-loss program. Achieve that slim body you have always dreamed of.
You Might Also Like:
- 3 Day Military Diet Review: Does the Military Diet Work?
- 3 Day Military Diet Substitutions
- HCG Diet Plan: Review
- DIY Soylent for Weight Loss
- Keto Shakes – 50 Amazing Recipes